Sunday 6 March 2016

REVIEW - Mongoose B3 Satin Single Edged Razor

WHAT IS IT, AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
Well, for those not in the know, it is a Mongoose Satin (B3), single edge razor, manufactured from stainless steel.

METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:
This was where I was expecting something quite different.  I'm not sure why but I did.  Anyhow, I digress.  The angle is quite intuitive on this razor, and with the standard handle, it is nicely balanced.  Because of the hefty weight of the handle, there is no inclination to use any pressure at all, something fundamental to a good shave.  The standard handle is the ideal length for me as I have quite large hands, it fits perfectly.  So, with the razor being comfortable in the hand, I had high hopes for a good shave.  I wasn't to be disappointed.  I'd done plenty of reading on the Mongoose as let's face it, the value of the razor means it's a significant razor-based purchase.  I'd read that for some the head is very big, verging on too big.  Some people said the handle was too heavy.  All I noticed (coming from traditional DE shaving) that the extra width on the blade took some 30 seconds tops to get used to.  The shave was very quick, too quick in fact.  It was so smooth (with a Feather Pro blade) that I barely noticed the blade at all.  Three passes (with, across and against the grain) were achieved in lightning speed, with ZERO drama.  Even my trouble spots where anything less than a blade that is lethally sharp felt like they were being massaged by twenty vestal virgins as opposed to being attacked with a razor blade.  In Yoda speak, blown away I was.

Now onto the razor description.  This is clearly a very high quality item, machined to very close tolerances, and finished to almost perfection.  The razor is a three piece unit, with lugs on the top cap to hold the blade securely between it and the head.  Everything just fits like a glove.  The handle screws securely onto the threaded stud without any force, and just holds itself perfectly in place.  I'll let the photographs do the talking from here on in...

Top cap and base plate:





Together:


Paul (globalm from The Shaving Room) was kind enough to loan me two handles with the razor, the top being the standard, the lower being a Hempel Titanium (quite a bit lighter and a good half inch shorter):

Quality finish:


Hempel:



Razor built (sans blade):



With Hempel:





Loading a blade:


 Loaded:




CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:
OK, I wanted to be blown away by this razor for various reasons (mainly cost and the perceived hype), and I was NOT disappointed one bit.  The shave is quite simply remarkable, and ultimately it would be this that was the deciding factor as to whether or not to purchase a Mongoose.  Being a high priced item, buying one blind is a huge risk, but thankfully, the very generous nature of the wet shaving community (and in particular Paul who honoured me with the loan of this razor) allowed me to try before I buy.  This razor, grouped with a quality Feather blade, and sublime soap (Phoenix & Beau) have given me the very best shaves of my life.  I do not think that this can be improved upon.  It is THAT good.

No comments:

Post a Comment