Saturday 12 March 2016

REVIEW - Proraso Green Shaving Soap

WHAT IS IT, AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
It's a soft shaving soap, made in Italy.



Proraso Green Soap - Our shaving soap formula undergos a traditional “hot process”. The shaving cream is left to mature in small batches for a period of 10 days in a temperature-controlled room that protects the batches from temperature shifts. During this maturing process, moisture evaporates from the formulation resulting in a solid, concentrated shaving soap; perfect for professional brush application.
COMPONENTS - EUCALYPTUS OIL has a tonifying and purifying effect. MENTHOL has refreshing and revitalizing properties. GLYCERIN encourages a smooth shave, reducing irritation and redness. 

APPLICATION METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:
I swirl my dampened brush around the pot for about 10-15 seconds, which gives enough soap to make lather for four passes with touch up if needed.  Transfer to your bowl or face and whip up a storm.  It's suited for both bowl and face latherers alike, with no real difference in building.  I actually quite like face lathering Proraso, as you get the cold build up nicely on your face, great for summer.

SCENT:
The scent of Proraso Green is a bit polarising I've found.  The way I interpret the scent is contradictory.  I get fresh menthol vapours with the eucalyptus following quite strongly, but sometimes I find the eucalyptus a little musty smelling.  It's not necessarily a bad thing, just a property of the scent.

LATHERABILITY:
No problems here getting a good lather, but this is a soap that you can easily over water, killing the lather dead.  Add water slowly, literally a few drops at a time to build the ideal lather.


PERFORMANCE:
With Proraso Green, I find the cooling nature of the soap lends itself to seemingly killing irritation.  This is both good and bad as it can give that false sense of security, leading you to add more pressure than is needed.  That said, there is sufficient cushion with a well built lather to see you through a shave, and there is just enough glide to ensure you mow down your whiskers.  It's not the slickest soap I've used, but is more than adequate for all types of shaver.

POST SHAVE:
The cooling sensation offered by the ingredients give that really fresh feel when you've finished a shave.  I do get a bit of tightness, almost like my skin is half a size too small, it's a snug feeling if you will.  I do like to follow up with a balm when I've used Proraso Green to give a bit more moisture that my skin likes.  Again, not a huge downside, but one to be aware of if your skin dries easily.

CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:
The low price point of the product does not indicate a cheap product, rather it indicates that quality products can be available at a bargain price.  I'd recommend this soap for anyone who loves a cold blast in the morning, or loves the scent of pressed eucalyptus leaves.  I took Proraso Green away with me on holiday last year as it is a reliable performer, doesn't take up too much space in your shave bag, and you know you'll get a great shave come rain or shine.  The question is, would I buy it again?  Quite probably yes, as it is a very well priced product, dare I say it punching above it's price point.

No comments:

Post a Comment